Development Engineer Cathode
At SOLiTHOR’s Centre of Excellence for SOLID-STATE rechargeable lithium battery technology.
Who we are
SOLiTHOR is a recently created high tech company which is utilising 10 years of research and the facilities of imec, the prestigious Belgian R&D institute in nanoelectronics and digital technologies.
Building on this unique and patented research, SOLiTHOR aims to develop and commercialise the next solid-state lithium batteries for the electromobility sector. Our mission is to scale up our solid-state battery technology and apply it to electric vehicles – in the air, on land and sea.
To strengthen our growing team of engineers and technologists, we are looking for a motivated and talented Development Engineer Cathode .
- Optimise cathode formulations in accordance with the project (i.e. chemical compatibility, interface with the solid electrolyte, compliance with the cell KPI)
- Characterise the slurry and films obtained at different stages of the process via complementary techniques including rheology, mechanical stability, electrochemical and chemical analyses
- Transfer the technology from lab to pilot scale, ensuring the process is well documented and compliant with Health and Safety rules
- Write test plans and procedures for cathode full electrochemical evaluation
- Analyse, summarise, and share results with stakeholders
- Provide useful insights to the Cell Design and Upscaling team for cathode cell integration and vice versa improve cathode component based on upscaling and device constraints
- Support intellectual properties or trade secrets to protect the company’s technology developments and secure a competitive position
Skills and personality
We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual who has a hands-on approach to work - a creative problem solver who is motivated and passionate about the profession and is keen to work in a start-up environment.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, Material Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Electrochemistry
- Entry level position
- Hands-on experience of electrochemical devices testing
- Experienced in designing electrochemical protocols to assess and ultimately improve cell performance
- Knowledge of the electrical test equipment and experimental set up used in cell testing or equivalent (Impedance, Cyclic Voltammetry, GITT)
- An understanding of lithium battery cathodes, solid electrolytes, interfaces would be advantageous
- Fluent in English
- Results-driven and able to deliver quality output within tight deadlines
- A laboratory and subsequently, a pilot line work environment
- The ability to thrive in a start-up and ambitious environment where teamwork is key
- Strong analytical mind, enabling comprehensive understanding of the relationships between processes, material and interface characteristics and the performance of those materials in the battery device
- Strong communication and reporting skills. A good level of English is mandatory given the multinational character of the startup.
- Flexible and able to respond to rapidly changing (technological/technical) circumstances
- Based in Belgium or willing to relocate
We offer you the opportunity to develop the next generation solid-state lithium batteries in a challenging environment. In doing so, you will take on a crucial role within our talented, passionate and multicultural team. You will have the opportunity to help build a company that will have a major global social impact.
SOLiTHOR not only offers you access to top class equipment and laboratory facilities, but also a competitive salary package with the following benefits:
- Contract of indeterminate duration (40h/week, 12 additional holidays)
- Meal vouchers worth €8/working day
- Hospitalisation insurance
- Group insurance
- Home office compensation
- Stock options
You will be based at Energyville in Genk, where you will be surrounded by like-minded, inspiring people. SOLiTHOR will move to its new premises, near Hasselt, in August 2023.
To apply please send your CV to our HR officer Asho Brouckaert and include the job title in the subject line.