Cell Assembly Engineer
at SOLiTHOR’s Centre of Excellence for SOLID-STATE rechargeable lithium battery technology.
Who we are
SOLiTHOR is a recently created high tech company which is utilising 10 years of research and the facilities of imec, the prestigious Belgian R&D institute in nanoelectronics and digital technologies.
Building on this unique and patented research, SOLiTHOR aims to develop and commercialise the next solid-state lithium batteries for the electromobility sector. Our mission is to scale up our solid-state battery technology and apply it to electric vehicles – in the air, on land and sea.
To strengthen our growing team of engineers and technologists, we are looking for a motivated and talented Cell Assembly Engineer.
- Responsible for a multitude of steps post-electrode processing to assemble coated electrodes (anodes and cathodes) into functioning battery cells
- Coin cell and pouch cell assembly, including electrode blanking, stacking, tab welding, heat sealing/bagging, vacuum drying, electrolyte filling, vacuum sealing/degassing, and forming/activating prior to testing
- Updating company databases with cell assembly metadata
- Provide feedback to the team lead on assembly processing challenges, and provide recommendations when necessary
- Support all cell development needs of internal R&D, pilot-production, and customer-development programmes
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment adhering to all Health, Safety and Environment guidelines
Skills and personality
We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual who has a hands-on approach to work - a creative problem solver who is motivated and passionate about the profession and is keen to work in a start-up environment.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field
- Entry level position
- Experience operating battery cell assembly equipment including electrode notching, lamination, tab and terminal welding (resistance, laser, ultrasonic), electrode stacking, and cell package sealing
- Fluent in English
- Results-driven and able to deliver quality output within tight deadlines
- The ability to thrive in a start-up and ambitious environment where teamwork is key
- Strong analytical mind and a comprehensive understanding of the relationships between processes, material and interface characteristics and the performance of those materials in the battery device
- Strong communication and reporting skills. A good level of English is mandatory given the multinational character of the start-up.
- Flexible and able to respond to rapidly changing (technological/technical) circumstances
- Based in Belgium or willing to relocate
We offer you the opportunity to develop the next generation solid-state lithium batteries in a challenging environment. In doing so, you will take on a crucial role within our talented, passionate and multicultural team. You will have the opportunity to help build a company that will have a major global social impact.
SOLiTHOR not only offers you access to top class equipment and laboratory facilities, but also a competitive salary package with the following benefits:
- Contract of indeterminate duration (40h/week, 12 additional holidays)
- Meal vouchers worth €8/working day
- Hospitalisation insurance
- Group insurance
- Home office compensation
- Stock options
You will be based at Energyville in Genk, where you will be surrounded by like-minded, inspiring people. SOLiTHOR will move to its new premises, near Hasselt, in August 2023.
To apply please send your CV to our HR officer Asho Brouckaert and include the job title in the subject line.