Cell Assembly Engineer
at SOLiTHOR’s Centre of Excellence for SOLID-STATE rechargeable lithium battery technology.
Who we are
SOLiTHOR is a high tech company which is utilising 10 years of research carried out by imec, the prestigious Belgian R&D institute in nanoelectronics and digital technologies.
Building on this unique and patented research, SOLiTHOR is developing and aiming to commercialise the next solid-state lithium batteries for the electromobility sector. Our mission is to scale up our solid-state battery technology and apply it to electric vehicles – in the air, on land and sea.
To strengthen our growing team of engineers and technologists, we are looking for a motivated and talented Cell Assembly Engineer.
- Responsible for a multitude of steps post-electrode processing to assemble coated electrodes (anodes and cathodes) into functioning battery cells
- Coin cell and pouch cell assembly, including electrode blanking, stacking, tab welding, heat sealing/bagging, vacuum drying, electrolyte filling, vacuum sealing/degassing, and forming/activating prior to testing
- Updating company databases with cell assembly metadata
- Provide feedback to the team lead on assembly processing challenges, and provide recommendations when necessary
- Support all cell development needs of internal R&D, pilot-production, and customer-development programmes
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment adhering to all Health, Safety and Environment guidelines
Skills and personality
We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual who has a hands-on approach to work - a creative problem solver who is motivated and passionate about the profession and is keen to work in a start-up environment.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field
- Entry level position
- Experience operating battery cell assembly equipment including electrode notching, lamination, tab and terminal welding (resistance, laser, ultrasonic), electrode stacking, and cell package sealing
- Fluent in English
- Results-driven and able to deliver quality output within tight deadlines
- The ability to thrive in a start-up and ambitious environment where teamwork is key
- Strong analytical mind and a comprehensive understanding of the relationships between processes, material and interface characteristics and the performance of those materials in the battery device
- Strong communication and reporting skills. A good level of English is mandatory given the multinational character of the start-up.
- Flexible and able to respond to rapidly changing (technological/technical) circumstances
- Based in Belgium or willing to relocate
We offer you the opportunity to develop the next generation solid-state lithium batteries in a challenging environment. In doing so, you will take on a crucial role within our talented, passionate and multicultural team. You will have the opportunity to help build a company that will have a major global social impact.
SOLiTHOR not only offers you access to top class equipment and laboratory facilities, but also a competitive salary package with the following benefits:
- Contract of indeterminate duration (40h/week, 12 additional holidays)
- Meal vouchers worth €8/working day
- Hospitalisation insurance
- Group insurance
- Home office compensation
- Stock options
You will be based at Energyville in Genk, where you will be surrounded by like-minded, inspiring people. SOLiTHOR will move to its new premises in Sint-Truiden in August 2023.